My pregnancy journey - by Tamera - Little Lullaby
Little Lullaby

My pregnancy journey – by Tamera

Little Lullaby
Little Lullaby

Young mum and her two children

I wanted to talk briefly of my pregnancy journey, the hidden truths that no one seems to tell or warns you about.

As this is my first blog, let me introduce myself. I’m Tamera, I’m 22 I have 2 children 1 year apart, my son is 1-and-a-half-years-old and my daughter is 6-months-old.

I found out I was pregnant 2 days before my 20th birthday. 2 WEEKS LATER is when this all kicks in, I was pregnant and going to have a BABY!

Let’s talk ‘morning sickness’

What is morning sickness? For me more like ALL DAY SICKNESS. Yes, that right. Without fail I was sick from that day on to the very end of my pregnancy all day long. I was sick up to 7 times a day. I couldn’t hold food nor drink down, it would come right back up. I eventually decided I need to try do something about feeling and being sick all day, so I took a trip to my GP and was prescribed sickness tablets but unfortunately the tablets didn’t help.


Oh gosh this was the worst. My pocket was going on so much food, I honestly couldn’t control what I was eating. One week I would crave over 20 chicken hot wings from the chicken shop then Dairy Milk chocolate the next week! It honestly had my emotions sky high. To crave something but not having it at home meant I had to full on get ready to trek for what it is I wanted.

Hospitalised – DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis)

A few months in, I was awoken by indescribable extreme pain in my leg. It would last up to 2 minutes and my leg and toes go stiff and numb. This happened a few times and my instincts told me that this wasn’t right. First thing 8am, I called up my GP and explained what was happening. They gave me an urgent appointment. As I was getting examined, my doctor asked me questions and told me what she thought it was.

She arranged for me to go to A&E right away. As I got to the hospital I was seen quickly, it was all overwhelming. They examined me and gave me stockings to wear. They confirmed I had a DVT in my right upper calf. This was very scary for me as my Nanna passed away with a DVT to the lung. I was hospitalised and monitored. Eventually after a few days I was good to return home on clexane injections. From this day on, I had to inject 2 times a day every day to reduce risk of further clots spreading. I was so scared injecting into my belly! Up to 6 weeks after baby was born. And I would have to have injections for any further pregnancy.

Hot flush & sweats

Personally, this didn’t bother me too much. It was simply one minute I was hot, like in a Caribbean country, and the next minute I was freezing and had to wrap up as if I was in the North pole!


This one was a difficult one. A lot of food smelled bad and made me feel nauseous. It was hard to cook a simple meal or even go out to a restaurant. The spice and seasoning I once loved before pregnancy was temporarily gone and taking a toll on my emotional state.


I’m sure I’m not the only mother to have had to struggle on the loo constantly during my pregnancy journey. Let’s just keep it real.

Second time around

5 months later, after giving birth, I found out I was pregnant again and this time I was hoping not to go through the above. Little did I know that it happened all over again!

Last but not least… dehydration

I was feeling lightheaded, peeing fewer times a day and I couldn’t intake much food or drink due to the intensive sickness, which led to dehydration and being put on drip at hospital to allow fluid to flow into my system.


Hands down pregnancy is such a beautiful thing and babies are a GLORY. It was so worth it at the end. To be able to see your baby, hold your baby… honestly indescribable.

Tamera – Mum of Kaiden and Nevaeh

Click here to read more about pregnancy from other young parents. Do you have a pregnancy journey you would like to share?