Where to find support if your child is disabled or has additional needs - Little Lullaby
Little Lullaby

Where to find support if your child is disabled or has additional needs

Where to turn to for support.

Where to turn for extra support.

Little Lullaby
Little Lullaby

Young parents may need extra support if their child has a disability or additional needs. We’ve highlighted some organisations below that provide information and support.


Contact a Family

Contact a Family is a national charity for families with disabled children. They bring families together so they can support each other, as well as providing information, advice and support.

Here’s how they can help:

  • Their website offers advice on education, feeding, behaviour, money and lots more
  • They have a free helpline for support on any aspects of raising a disabled child — call 0808 808 3555 for free between 9.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday or email them on helpline@cafamily.org.uk.
  • You can find support groups on their Parent Support Groups page, as well accessible support, activities and services

Download their ‘When your child has additional needs’ factsheet for more advice.

Information, Advice and Support services

Information, Advice and Support (IAS) services provide dedicated and impartial advice to young people and parent carers. You can find a list here.

Independent Support

Independent Support provides confidential and impartial advice to young people and parent carers who are moving from a Statement of SEN to an Education Health and Care plan.

Family Fund

Family Fund provide grants for disabled children and their families. Last year, they provided 88,119 grants or services worth over £33 million to families across the UK.

National Network of Parent Carer Forums

There are over 150 local Parent Carer Forums across England. You can find your local forum here.

Independent Parent Special Education Advice (IPSEA)

IPSEA helps parents get the right education for children with all kinds of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities. They run an information service, advice line and tribunal helpline as well as training for parents, schools and local authorities.


Scope provide information and support for parents, including help with extra costs, school and education and tips for parents.


mencap offer information about the support your child can access and how you can get it. Find out more here.